As planned, Jonathan, Neil and I went to the Cine Europa 2010. Neil thought it as a way to celebrate my 23rd birthday. Actually it’s the second time for me and Neil to catch this event, if my memory serves me right we watched “The Duchess” from the same event last year.
But before we claimed our couches and enjoyed the film, there are so many bloopers happened like spending almost an hour in the line without thinking to drop by the ticket concierge to get some tix, that made Jonathan and I as one of the “chance passengers”. ; Neil got the last tix of the film, so he was able to reserve us some seats [which is by the way, so hard to find], while Jonathan, I and the rest of the “chance passengers” will have to wait for several minutes outside the theater. The concierge staff has to make sure that they’re able to accommodate all delegates and lucky peeps with tix.
To cut the story short, we ended up enjoying the simple storyline of the film, despite of missing subtitles, we’re able to grasp the whole story. The problem is we don’t know the title. It’s written only in Czech and the subtitle appeared after first 2 minutes of the film. Well, I just ended up checking the event’s poster and google it. Thus the title Is “Vratne Lahve” [Empties].
I don’t know the actors, screenwriter and director’s name but I do appreciate the film. The premise is about Josef Tkaloun, a teacher at a high school in Prague who cannot control his anger when his pupils misbehave in his poetry class. He quits his job and despite his wife urging him to retire, becomes a cycle courier. After the inevitable accident, he still refuses to stay at home and takes a job in the local supermarket. He works behind a counter, taking the used glass beer bottles and empty plastic water bottles, giving a receipt to the customers which they can redeem at the cashier. He begins to flirt with the customers and matchmake both for an old friend and for the man he works with. His own flirtations [and amusingly lurid dreams] almost get him into trouble with his wife, so he resolves to reignite the passion in his marriage by celebrating his wedding anniversary with a hot air balloon ride. As can be expected, things do not go completely to plan.
I have this two favorite plot points of the film, First is long montage of Josef, talking to her customers then later exchanges info to his workmates to boost their confidence and got matched with some of their customers, one got married and other one were dumped but got a thrilling “math lessons” every week. The second one are those scenes of the couple accidentally stuck in a hot air balloon. Josef is so calm and proud to show to her wife the green plains of Czech, telling to her wife to be calm and enjoy the scenery; at least she enjoyed something special before they die. Before this plot point happened, there a scene where Josef’s wife talks about how a male swan stays alone and loyal after it’s better half die. Then she asked Josef what he will do if she dies. While their over the green plains, wildly dragged by the winds, the wife asked Josef why he is so calm despite of being stuck on air, he only answered back “If I’m going to die, I would like to die with you” , sweet and well delivered[ you’ll be hearing some of the audiences go on awe] . Also, one of my fave funny point is while the couple we’re trapped in a hot air balloon sinking in the middle of river, both have to figure out how to ignite the engine, luckily his husband owns a lighter, thus he discovered that his wife secretly smokes . When he asked his wife why she smokes, she told him that she want to die first, she don’t want to be a widow and be the rest of the Czech women, visiting their husband graves on their late 50-60’s. And when she were asked for her basis , she just answered “Statistics”.
The plausible script and humane setting made it possible for the film to show some points of our society like being judgmental, how we assume on things, confidence vs doubt, technology and respect.
This film is very funny and moving – in a best way possible. [It’s like I’m watching a serious version of “The Community]. I like how scenes are made almost ultimately believable, as every scene and every bit of the dialog is taken from life. Everyone in the theater started laughing shortly after the beginning and continued throughout the film till the final credits. Everyone was leaving the screening with a great smile on the face, filled with pleasant thoughts.
Try to check Cine Europa 2010 if you have some free time, it’ll run until the 19th of this month. Interested? here’s the schedule of the whole run 😀
Anyway, we ended up having dinner and did some catching up, from my dad’s health, to their facial, Jonathan’s new account up to my first time to judge a school completion which by the way would be my next post [and next project..thanks to neil]
So that’s for now guys.
So Till Then and Godbless
Yup. Just turned 23. I can’t believe that I’ve grown so fast, I don’t even enjoyed my childhood that much. Last year, I posted an article about my insight of still being a kid at age 22. Well, I’m still a kid at heart, even though I got so many “wake-up calls” last year, still I haven’t changed my mind.
Anyway, to thanks those who greeted me on Facebook, Twitter and text [and even in friendster] , I would like to share you these 23 facts about me. I planned them originally in a timeline format, but it turns out that there’s nothing interesting in some of my living years. Well, here you go my friends [and future wife and kids] ENJOY 😀
1. With the help of a midwife. I was born September 14, 1987, around 12:10 PM somewhere in Pembo, Fort Bonifacio, Makati City. Pero lumaki at nagkaisip ako sa San Jose del monte Bulacan. Imagine kung dun ako lumaki sa Makati, siguro ibang-iba ako ngayon.
2. Di ko raw pinatulog ang mga magulang ko nung baby pa raw ako; the thing is, I got hooked to television as early as my eyes can see things clearly. 1-2 years old perhaps. My dad once told me that they had to switch TV channels every 5 minutes, kasi umiiyak ako pag hindi commercial ang palabas sa TV. Hindi ba baligtad? Siguro dahil duon, I have this eagerness to work in an ad agency. 😀
3. According to my parents, Late na raw ako natutong magsalita, mga around 3 years old. Kung anu ano ang pinakain sa akin nung bata ako para lang makapagsalita, mula sa pritong pwet ng manok up to those things that I ‘ll leave to your imagination.
4. Snob daw ako nung bata. I hate nosy neighbors naman ngayon. I can see the pattern now
5. During a beach party, my dad suddenly told me this unknown story. I was kidnapped somewhere in Manila while my mom buying burgers. Tinangay daw ako ng matandang babae, at isinakay sa isang dyip. Nang namalayan ni mama na nawawala ako, tumawag sila ng pulis, nahabol nila ang dyip and thus I was saved. ‘Di daw ako nagsasalita sabi ni mama kaya madali daw ako nakidnap. Anu na kaya ako ngayon kung di ako nasagip nga aking nanay? Hmm…interesting.
6. Laging umuulan pag birthday ko, minsan bumabaha pa. ngayon lang hindi. Masarap sana gumala ng maaraw, kaso nakatulog ako ng buong araw [FYI: call cenner agent]
7. Ilang beses naconvert ang kwarto naming magkapatid sa isang 3-foot swimming pool. Yun yung mga araw kung kelan lagi kong naiiwang bukas ang gripo ng kusina. Hindi pa elevated ang kwarto naming magkapatid noon kaya madalas ang pool party [at relief operation ng mga gamit] sa tuwing umuuwi kami ng bahay galing sa galaan.
8. Family Computer addict as early as 5 years old. Favorite games ko noon : “Tanks” at “Twin Bee”
9. Bata pa ako noon, nagluluto ako ng longganisa tapos dumaan ang kaibigan ko sa gradeschool, nagtatanong ng direksyon, sinamahan ko sya, after 30 minutes ng lakaran at kwentuhan, naalala ko ang niluluto ko. Mag-isa lang ako nuon sa bahay. Buti nalang uling na longganisa ang nadatnan ko, hindi uling na bahay.
10. I can speak and write fluent English way back high school. I lost my senses nung nagcollege na ako, I think it’s inferiority complex.
11. I spent 3 years of my gradeschool life in a Catholic School. ‘sing dami rin ng bulllies sa regular school. Dahil malayo sa bahay, I ended up learning how to commute at age of 7. Thus, I have plenty of time to stroll after school. Matatagpuan ako usually sa school library [promise I love and misses that library, hindi mahigput, kuha ka lang kuha ng books, sabay upo sa sahig then read. Pag tapos ka na, isauli mo kung saan mo kinuha at magpaalam kay Sister na librarian. Doon ako natuto ng discipline, honesty at courtesy. ]
12. Prince of Charity ako nung Kinder ako. Partner ko nuon ay isang high school student. Nagparada pa complete with float sa buong subdivision. Niresearch ko pa ang name nia para sa post na’to. Her name is Ma. Chelo F. Jimenez. Ang huli naming kita ay nung bata pa ako, nung matapos ang coronation night. Hmmm…asan na kaya siya?
13. I’m not NERD , I’m just a geek. There are so many differences between those 2 terms. I hate Math, Calculus, Trigonometry, statistics and taxation like everyone else. But I love Chemistry, Conspiracy Theories, Behind the scenes documentaries. My interest ranges from useless but interesting trivia up to Facts brought by History Channel Specials.
14. Proud Boy scout po ako. From being a Crab Scout of a team up to being a leader of my own tribe. I’m proud to say that I’m one of the most “decorated” Boy Scout sa aming grade school. I even got my Tender Foot Rank even bago mag grade 5. Beat that :D. If ever I got some time and resources, I’ll join one of their jamborees. 😀 [it’s way fun than CAT, iba ang samahang boy scout]
15. Hindi ako snob. Torpe lang. sobrang torpe. ayii…
16. Worst fear s : Rusty Metals. Ants. Catfish and RnB music.
17. I don’t know how to play Lotto that’s why hanggang ngayon di parin ako yumayaman. 😀
18. I must admit, I’m hopeless romantic. My friends always caught me smiling while watching Little Manhattan,  days of summer and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. BTW those are my fave movies. I have this big crush on Zooey Dechanel and Denise Laurel.
19. I always picture myself as a Beatbox/Piano luvin’ skateboarder who can belt out Eric Hutchinson and Rob Thomas songs. I am currently practicing how to beatbox by having all Blake Lewis EPs
20. I have this weird taste when it comes to music. I am a big fan of Acapella music [coined by my college barkada as Tribal music]. I collect covers and original acapella tunes from international and local school choirs. Also fond of showtunes, TV and movie soundtracks and Indie music. That’s why all my friends always felt alienated with my playlist. But I got this way how to introduce some to my friends. One of the proofs is how I introduce Eric Hutchinson to Galaxy during my 22nd Birthday, he became an instant fan. I also uses acapella tunes to my AVP projects like that Acapella version of Matchbox 20’s PUSH, which I used in an AVP about abortion shown in a seminar of nursing studes . It was such a hit 😀
21. I have some weird gradeschool memories. We have this classmate that claims he is living with an elf, that elf is giving him answers during our exams. Reason why we’re intrigued with his pencil which tip “glows” during our exams. We also had this “levitation session” beside the church, ala lang, trip trip lang, a group of catholic students tumatambay sa katabing Grotto Church para mag-inidan sit at pumikit, magko-concentrate ng unti , then katahimikan ng ilang minuto. Too cut the story short, payabangan sa school van kung sino ang nag”levitate” at gaano kataas. Basta weird ang gradeschool memories naming, puro mysteries at takutan. Sayang, di ko na sila nakikita. 😀
22. I love to massage my dad, love to cook for my Mom, love to nag my younger brother and I really really love to terrorize the childhood of my youngest brother Louie 😀 Because of him, I have a valid excuse to loot and hoard chocolates and all sorts of junk 😀
23. Today my plans are so jampacked, I don’t know where to begin. I want to fully pursue my Masters and teach audio-video techniques. I want to join Cinemalaya next year as a screenwriter, finish ALL my pending novels, personal animation projects and sketches. Well I think another year of trying to accomplish those feats will not hurt.
Like what I mentioned in the intro, I’m still a kid at age of 23. Nothing stops me to dream wild and appreciate little gestures. I still do enjoy playing games without any inhibitions. I don’t care on what and who I will be wearing. I’m still patient, optimistic and wide-eyed expectator . I don’t want to lose those qualities as I grow up. I don’t want to be jaded as most grown up I’ve met. I would like to be more optimistic and hopeful like my dad and as creative like my mom.
I’m thinking what would be life for me after 5,10 or 20 years from now. I hope this article will serve sort of time capsule to my future kids and grandchildren 😀 Again thanks to my family, friends and peeps I met and contributed something in my well-being [naks, ang deep :D]
So that’s for now guys.
So Till Then and Godbless 😀
After our PUP Photohike Doodle Project, our team got into a sort of hiatus. Sheila, Josh and Kenneth we’re busy with their upcoming thesis, Rose is busy looking for her career and me, enjoyed a pretty plenty of time in la-la-land.Then out of nowhere, a thread in Facebook was made regarding having a next Photohike, we don’t know where to go. We are only tend to go somewhere in Manila due to time constrains [as well as budget matters]. Then suddenly Josh suggested a goth-inspired photohike. After a long thread of discussion, we ended up huddling for the cemeteries within the Metro, but we failed due to some reasons like, we don’t know how to get there [we’re using google maps okay, it’s way different], then permit issues and then the infamous ghost stories.
Good thing, Rose invited us to her town, San Mateo Rizal for a celebration for their church. After celebrating with God, we packed our bags, brought a box full of matchsticks, long candles split into halves and went to the nearest cemetery.
Sheila was the first one who posed for our cameras. I call this set the “Emo Gurl”
SHEILA’s set [the emo gurl]
Then here’s the mastermind. Josh. I must say he did his homework, He knows how to project in from of the camera very well, but the problem is, the camera is having problem capturing him. I think because of the light source we chose to use. I call this set “project project” [pun intended]
JOSH’s set [Project Project]
ROSE’ s set [summoning the candles]
And there was Kenneth, the one who “voluntary” ran from the cemetery from the nearest [farthest] store just to buy the second set of candles. We [even Kenneth] had a hard time to think some pose for him. But, just like those lightbulb moments, because of his cap and uncontrollable hair, we’re able to come up with some positions. I call this set “100-ways-on-how-to-put-your-cap-on”. Sorry for the lame title, I dont know why but I can’t help it. 😀
KENNETH’s set [100-ways-on-how-to-put-your-cap-on]
As usual, every photohike, I do have my turn to be their subject. usually, I do have some poses in bag waiting to be executed promptly. However that time, I went blank. I don’t know what to do. They don’t have anything to suggest as well, and then suddenly, another lightbulb moment. A print ad of a certain clothing brand ran across my mind. and there you go, I ended up with some positions that weirdly done. 😀
By the way, many thanks for Rose and Josh for having enough patience to deal with me as their subject hahaha 😀
It’s raining that day, the surrounding is in pitch black and our only light source are those candles. We’re wasn’t able to bring some lights, and if ever we did, there’s no power source that can be found near our location. But even though, we had fun doing such exercise. It’s like sort of learning how to do low light photography.
And even though we dont have a tripod, I was able to do multiplicity shots. Well, I’m just learning the trick so please be nice with the following photos 😀
So there you go. We’re all back now to our busy lives. Thesis and work. If chances will permit, we will do another photohike. Sheila were thinking about having a colorful playground scene and Rose is buying for a beach [post summer] photohike. For me, I am thinking of a Cosplay Massacre inspired amateur pictorial on the PIA rooftop, full of satellite dishes in various shapes and sizes. still, if time and chances permit.
So that’s for now guys.
So Till Then and Godbless 😀